This is the mother's day card that I made for my older sister (their mom). The quote perfectly describes our relationship. Also the card that I made for my mom which I was really pleased with.
I'm trying to enjoy a lazy Sunday as I have to go back to work tomorrow and can't go to Iowa yet. The weather is nearly perfect and I have a new Dwell to read so I'm happy. I'm especially loving the "Modern Homes with Old Bones" feature as I'm intrigued by the mixing of historic buildings and contemporary architecture. Reminds me of some great places that I visited in Denmark, my favorite being this place.
An interesting point that was made in the magazine is that historic restoration and sustainable design can really go hand in hand. Probably most people would not automatically associate the two, but it makes sense that using the "bones" of an old building requires a lot less energy than building from scratch. In my limited personal experience preservation can prove a hot button topic. I think that the President of National Trust for Historic Preservation summed it up well in his recent speech.
"I'll begin with a reminder of what historic preservation is all about. When you strip away the rhetoric, preservation is simply having the good sense to hold on to things that are well designed, that link us with our past in a meaningful way, and that have plenty of good use left in them."
Too bad there isn't an old castle around here that I could fix up *sigh.* 



2 comments:
Ooh Aunt Mallory x 2! Congrats on the new niece!
Thanks! I can't wait to get to see her this weekend. Apparently she is sweet and sleeps a lot :)
Post a Comment